BASIC LIFE SUPPORT (BLS)
The purpose of the HSI BLS training program is for participants to gain or improve knowledge and skill proficiency and high-quality CPR skills and teamwork for the adult, child, and infant.
- HSI BLS has been approved by the HSI Medical Advisory board interviewed by the HSI Advisory Council.
- Reflects the latest resuscitation science and treatment recommendations published by the International Liaison Committee on Resuscitation (ILCOR).
- Conforms with the 2020 American Heart Association (AHA) Guidelines update for CPR and ECC in the annual Guidelines Update.
- Continuing Education Hours Available: Emergency Medical Services (CAPCE) and Dental Professionals (AGD/PACE)
- Healthcare providers (in and out of hospital)
- Public safety professionals in a variety of occupational settings
- Individuals enrolled in healthcare and public safety career training programs
- Traditional Classroom
- Blended Learning
- Remote Skill Verification
STUDENT CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
- Successful completion of the 21 question BLS written exam.
- Demonstrate skilled competency as indicated by the skill criteria on the “Adult BLS" and “Infant BLS” Performance Evaluation Sheets.
- Certification Period: 2 years from month of issue
- Course Length: Approximately 4-5 Hours
- Class Size: Up to 10 students per instructor
- Introduction to BLS
- Sudden Cardiac Arrest
- Adult BLS Procedure/Assessment
- Adult Compressions
- Adult Airway
- Adult Breathing
- Adult Automated External Defibrillation
- Adult CPR: One BLS Provider
- Adult CPR: Multiple BLS Providers
- Additional Adult BLS Considerations
- Suspected Opioid-Associated Emergency
- Adult CPR: Teamwork and High Performance Resuscitation (Optional Skill Practice)
- Pediatric Chains of Survival
- Child BLS Procedure/Assessment
- Child Compressions
- Child Airway and Breathing
- Child Automated External Defibrillation
- Child CPR: One BLS Provider
- Child CPR: Multiple BLS Providers
- Infant BLS Procedure/Assessment
- Infant Compressions
- Infant Airway and Breathing
- Infant Automated External Defibrillator
- Infant CPR: One BLS Provider
- Infant CPR: Multiple BLS Providers
- Infant CPR: Teamwork and High Performance Resuscitation (Optional)
- Relief of Choking